Safety Skin Product Review
I have recently had the opportunity to test out the Safety Skin reflective skin spread which is the first reflective product designed to be applied directly on your skin.
The idea of Safety Skin was created by Founder John Kulbis who had the creative and innovative idea to combine safety with convenience.
The light bulb went on in 2010, after leaning against a wet surface while painting the interior of a home. Cleaning up after a long day, the white stripe of paint, which transferred from the wall to my arm, was relentless in its removal. Seeking some fresh air, I stepped out for a run. As the evening turned dark and the roads became busier, I noticed the extra brilliance which that white stripe seemed to give me. Now resembled in our brush stroke branding, that stripe of paint turned into an idea inspiring the development of SAFETY SKIN®.
Here you can see the exact size and style of the Safety Skin product:
As an avid long distance runner myself, there are two huge pillars to my personal training style. One, of course being safety and two, comfortability. If you have seen distance runners or are one yourself, you know that clothing is quite minuscule. Therefore, what minimal clothing is worn is usually not reflective and ultimately makes outdoor runs much more unsafe.
Also, at the peak of my running career I was living in the central valley of California that at summer times would reach temperatures of 100 degrees plus. Definitely not an environment that is conducive for heavy reflective clothing.
That is where John noticed the gap in the fitness industry and created a product to combat this problem head on. The idea of Safety Skin is to free the athlete of any outdoor sport from the worries of “am I safe enough”, to strictly focus on their training, the way things should be.
There are a few vital points that everyone should know before purchasing Safety Skin for themselves.
- Safety Skin does not stain your clothing or your skin. It is an incredibly safe product that can experience sweat, water, mud, you name it and not damage the suit or clothing that it comes into contact with.
- Safety Skin is sweat and waterproof! You can comfortably ride, walk, run, etc for miles or hours and rest assured that the product is as reflective as the moment you put it on. That being said, it is not a nuisance to remove if you want to. Safety Skin will come off normally without painful and excessive scrubbing with standard soap and water.
- Safety Skin is SAFE FOR THE FACE! This was a huge selling point for me as someone who struggles with cystic acne and can barely have wind touch my face without hell to pay later. Safety Skin is FDA approved and non-comedogenic, so rest assured you can have an extra reflective face if that is how you choose to use the product!
- Product appears light grey in color, reflecting upon light. This is vital to remember as many users make the mistake of applying the product, looking at their skin from their own perspective and assuming that the product does not work. That is simply not the case! Safety Skin is a reflective spread, it works as light is transmitted against it, it is a light reflector not a light producer. Therefore if you truly want to see how the product is being reflected to say – a cars headlights, try taking a photo of it with your flash on. Examples of this can be seen below:
- Price. The price for a 1.5oz unit of Safety Skin is $18.95 + $3.75 for shipping. Making this product a grand total of $22.70. I personally found this to be a great deal because it is something that you are going to use for quite awhile, if you’re careful enough with how you apply it, it will last you a good amount of time. Also, it is like wearing nothing at all whilst still receiving all of the benefits of reflective clothing.
We truly believe that this is an ingenious product that can change the “safety” game for many outdoor enthusiasts and instill that confidence again to adventure into the night with the security that they are being seen, without the need for uncomfortable, heavy or outdated reflective clothing. Be mindful that a Safety Skin unit is only 1.5 oz and though that is a sufficient amount to last you a good amount of time, if you spread too aggressively and chip off pieces of the product, you will run out quickly.
I do think that the website itself could be improved upon by addressing every concern or question that users may have about the product on the home page or on the product page itself. I probably would have assumed that the product didn’t work if I hadn’t been told that the light is transmitted differently from my eyes versus a cars perspective. This is information that may seem like common knowledge to the brand, however, it is important to make every aspect clear and every question answered to those who may be skeptics of the products quality/capabilities.
Ultimately, I thought this was a great product and a solution to a problem that many outdoor enthusiasts maybe didn’t know could be solved any other way. Safety is everything in training and this allows athletes to be “free in their own skin” with the comfort of knowing that they can adventure out in any time of day, for all hours, with a product that is going to protect them and last.
this was a great product and a solution to a problem that many outdoor enthusiasts maybe didn’t know could be solved any other way. Safety is everything in training and this allows athletes to be “free in their own skin” with the comfort of knowing that they can adventure out in any time of day, for all hours, with a product that is going to protect them and last.
- Safe For Face
- Does Not Stain
- Informational Website
- Small Quantity Per Unit