Nutrology BEET Pre-Workout Product Review
Excerpt from Nutrology Beet Pre-Workout
Science continues to support that beetroot may be the greatest natural sports supplement to hit the US market in over 20 years.
Why is everyone from highly specialized athletes to weekend warriors using beetroot as their energy source? And why is the media, usually hyper-critical of can’t-miss energy products, so in love with this supplement?
First, it is an all natural food that easily passed the stringent substance testing conducted on the athletes. It can be eaten or mixed into water, making a beet juice anytime and anywhere in the dining halls, kitchen or gym. Athletes needn’t worry about any repercussions from eating healthy root vegetables.
Second, it provides enhanced athletic performance. In the build up to the London Olympic games, the British publication The Telegraph published an article detailing research on beetroot and how it boosts stamina. It noted that drinking beetroot juice doubled the amount of nitrate in the blood of volunteers, and reduced the rate at which muscles used their main source of energy. It found that beetroot juice helps muscles work more efficiently and lowered their oxygen uptake. The same effect was seen during both low-intensity and high-intensity exercise.
Specifically, Chris Thompson, of the University of Exeter’s School of Sport and Health Sciences noted,
“Those who had taken the nitrate-rich beet juice saw a 3.5% improvement in sprint performance and a 3% increase in their speed of making decisions without hindering accuracy.”
The full study is published in the European Journal of Applied Physiology and available on PubMed.
On the U.S side of the Atlantic, studies have also found that regularly drinking beetroot juice increases exercise performance in terms of the heart’s workload and oxygen delivery to the body’s muscles.
“We were surprised by how little nitrate was needed to see such a large effect, “ said Dr. Amrita Ahluwalia in the American Journal of Physiology – Regulatory, Integrative and Comparative Physiology.
Third, the energy provided was almost instantaneous. The UK study showed that the nitrate in beetroot juice reduces oxygen uptake quickly after consumption, making exercise less tiring. Beetroot juice as a pre workout energy source became the new king in the gym, pool, and on the track, helping athletes exercise up to 16 percent longer.
Nutrology’s Beet Pre Workout is engineered so you’ll enjoy a boost in energy less than five minutes after consumption. A delicious additive to your water or sports drink, each serving of Beet Natural Pre Workout is loaded with 3000mg beet juice, 2000mg beta alanine, 2000mg of Vitamin C, 1250mg of Yerba Mate and 1000mg of Creatinol-O-Phosphate. Our Beet Natural Pre Workout is completely free of creatine and artificial sweeteners.
Why is Yerba Mate in our Beet Natural Pre Workout? You’ve probably seen the Yerba Mate energy shots at the checkout line at your natural grocer or health food store. Yerba Mate is an antioxidant powerhouse and natural energy source. Often described as providing a clean and calm energy, Yerba Mate has higher polyphenol and antioxidant counts than both green and black teas. Relative to mainstream sugary, artificial-substance-laden energy drinks, Yerba Mate contains up to 100 times higher amounts of antioxidants and polyphenols than non-tea-based energy drinks.
Our Experience: Pros & Con
- All-Natural Caffeine: Because the Beet Natural pre-wrokout is made from Yerba Mate, there are no synthetic caffeine anhydrous. As stated above, Yerba Mate is an antioxidant powerhouse and natural energy source. Compare Yerba Mate to Coffee: Yerba mate and coffee both contain approximately 75–80 mg of caffeine per cup. However, the caffeine in mate seems to work differently. While several cups of coffee easily cause jitters and crashing effects, mate has the unique dual action of stimulating and soothing, even after several servings.
- Contains Vitamin C: Vitamin C has many impressive health benefits, including boosting your immune system by helping white blood cells function more efficiently. This in turn will also aid in your recovery process between training sessions.
- Beta Alanine Properties: Beta Alanine enhances performance by increasing exercise capacity and decreasing muscle fatigue. It also has antioxidant, anti-aging and immune-enhancing properties, making it a powerful additive to your pre-workout.
- Creatinol-O-Phosphate: is a synthetic analogue of Creatine and not to be mistaken as a substitute for Creatine. Creatinol-O-Phosphate acts as an intracellular buffer that prevents a rise in acidity (a drop in pH) within working muscles during Anaerobic Glycolysis. Anaerobic Glycolysis defines the process whereby glucose is transformed into lactate during times of limited oxygen availability (for example during exercise). It is useful for short term energy production for exercise lasting from 10 seconds to 2 minutes in duration in the presence of lactic acid.
- NO GARBAGE: The beauty of an all-natural caffeine and the beetroot base means that Nutrology has perfected a pre-workout that contains No Artificial Colors, Flavors or Sweeteners and is also Soy and Gluten Free!
- Price: The Beet Natural Pre-Workout is currently on sale for $44.99 with FREE SHIPPING. Compare this pre-workout with more crash-prone and unnatural pre-workouts currently littering the market (see photo below).
- Potency: Of course being a pre-workout the main element that you as a reader are going to want to know is, “How is the KICK?”. Both Rich and I have sampled this pre-workout for a couple weeks now using 2 scoops in 16oz of water (as recommended) and can attest to the incredible potency of this product! Within the fist 10 minutes of my training session I felt significantly more invigorated, alert and energized. If I have ever experienced this with a more unnatural pre-workout it was always a very short-lived burst of energy (roughly 45 mins) and the crash was unbearable. Not with the Beet Natural Pre-Workout, Rich and I were able to maintain sessions of well into 90 minutes and felt just as explosive and alert as the start of the session. Just as quickly as we were “amped up” we similarly experienced a very smooth transition back into a steady-state of energy post workout, no violent crash.
- Beetroot Base: Unlike most pre-workouts on the market, Nutrology has created an exclusively beetroot based stimulant, making this an incredibly all-natural product. Beetroots are notorious for improving exercise stamina without the use of artificial stimulants.
According to a small 2012 study, drinking beetroot juice increases plasma nitrate levels and boosts physical performance. During the study, trained cyclists who drank 2 cups of beetroot juice daily improved their 10-kilometer time trial by approximately 12 seconds, while also reducing their maximum oxygen output.
- Taste: Rich and I both agree that this is by far not the most savory pre-workout we have ever had. It is quite tart and unlike any other supplement we have tested, but then again, that is the point! All-natural means no added anything like sugar, sweeteners or flavoring. What you trade for taste you get back in performance!
Usefulness For Athletes
We have rated the Usefulness For Athletes at a 10
The Beet Natural has been an AMAZING addition to both mine and Rich’s training programs. We can trust in a clean product that really works and gets us excited for each and every workout without the fear of a caffeine crash that is sure to ruin the rest of the day. I used to love training in the morning but knew that the rest of my day would be compromised energy-wise when using unnatural supplements to boost my performance. With this product I (and hope many other athletes) can feel confident in the lasting effects of the Beet Natural Pre-Workout and continue throughout the day feeling alive and focused.
Nutrology is also currently in the process of getting the Beet Natural certified for athletes via informed sport. Those updates to this review are soon to come *
Overall we have scored this product as a 9.5
Really couldn’t be more pleased with the overall quality of the product, we have chosen a 9.5 rather than a perfect 10 solely based on the taste of the product. This will however not deter Rich and I from making Beet Natural our main pre-workout supplement moving forward. We firmly believe that Nutrology have taken the time to create a product that the fitness industry can trust and (in our opinion) desperately needed as it is the first all-natural stimulant that we have tested that has a kick stronger than most name brands and a smooth come-down instead of a crippling crash.
Nutrology’s Beet Natural Pre Workout is engineered so you'll enjoy a boost in energy less than five minutes after consumption.
- Beetroot Base
- All-Natural Caffeine
- Vitamin C
- Beta Alanine Properties
- No Artificial Colors, Flavors or Sweeteners
- Soy and Gluten free
- Free Shipping (Price)